12.05.2009

This is Chris. When Kim updated she talked about a birth story, well here it is. I love telling this story because I was excited to not be standing for 2 hours of pushing, and excited Erica didn't have to go through that. But there is some back story first. First of all, who knew that on a full moon, all 33 post partem rooms and all 11 labor/delivery rooms would be full? That's right, there was no room in the inn.

We were supposed to go in for the induction at 5 am 12/03 but received a call the night before telling us to wait to come until they called us. I called them at around 11 am to ask if they knew when we came in. The nurse started asking questions about how Erica was doing and I told her that basically she couldn't move (not exactly accurate but hey anything for my girl). Then i basically told them that I expected it to be soon since we were 5 days overdue.

It turns out telling them we were overdue worked in our favor, and they moved us ahead of other inductions waiting to happen. You know, the "my mom is in town" and " I just want it out" types of inductions. They gave us a call at 3:30 pm and we headed down. After registering they forgot us in the lobby, so we sat there for a while before finally asking them why we were still sitting there. Apologies flowed as we were thinking, who cares get it right this time.

So we finally get in. I left to get dinner and Doctor Beck came by and broke the water at about 5:15 and they started Erica on the drugs. Contractions quickly followed, so Erica got on the epidural within an hour (yes I was back by then). Then, I wanted snacks, thinking this could take 12 hours like last time, so I left to get chips.

While I was gone, Amelia's heart rate dropped twice. The cord was around her neck. I got back to learn all of this, as they were calling Dr. Beck to come back and check things out (possible c-section though they weren't telling us at that point). That was at about 8. When they called him Erica was dilated to a 7. When he got there at around 8:20 he said she was dilated to a 10. They hurried up and got everything ready and the fun really began.

No really it was fun compared to last time. Dr. Beck saw a contraction start, asked for a push to turn the baby. Asked for another push and the head was out, and a 3rd push and Amelia was out. 1 contraction, 3 pushes, no pain. Glory, hallelujah, Amelia Brooke was born at 8:40 pm. I thought it would take 12 hours again, and it was only 3 hours 40 minutes.

That's the story, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

P.S. I am a wimp, I did not cut the cord.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Dang! I would have come in the room just to cut the cord! Sillt Chris!

Liz said...

That should say silly

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

Great commentary, Chris! We're glad everyone is healthy!

Beth said...

It was fun to hear your side of the story. Glad mom and baby are doing well. Amelia sure looks sweet! Congratulations!

Taryn and Sterling said...

Great story. Chris did an awesome job re-capping it! I am sure Sterling wouldn't have remember all those details. I am so happy things went better for you this time, maybe there is hope for me next time! Three hours of pushing was just NOT fun. Congrats again!

Sarah said...

Congrats guys! She is adorable, and I am glad everything went so well this time! Great job on the recap Chris. :) Hope you are loving the new house! Want to come see it sometime!

Robert & Leigh said...

I TOLD you it would be better the second time, Erica! Glad you had a much better eperience this time around (just like I'm glad my experience the second time around was better too). Dr. Beck is amazing. And Chris, you are a pansy! Amelia is beautiful. Congrats guys.

Shanna said...

Cute pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...